Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Woodward Comes Clean

Bob Woodward apologized to the Washington Post for withholding knowledge of the CIA-leak involving Valerie Plame.
Bob Woodward apologized today to The Washington Post's executive editor for failing to tell him for more than two years that a senior Bush administration official had told him about CIA operative Valerie Plame, even as an investigation of those leaks mushroomed into a national scandal.

Woodward, an assistant managing editor and best-selling author, said he told Leonard Downie Jr. that he held back the information because he was worried about being subpoenaed by Patrick J. Fitzgerald, the special counsel in the case.

"I apologized because I should have told him about this much sooner," Woodward said in an interview. "I explained in detail that I was trying to protect my sources. That's Job No. 1 in a case like this...

"I hunkered down. I'm in the habit of keeping secrets. I didn't want anything out there that was going to get me subpoenaed."
Woodward's admission has a wide range of ramifications. One important thing that the admission does is make clear that the White House official who leaked Plame's name was not Libby, and it doesn't appear to be Karl Rove either. This greatly helps Libby's legal battles.

And if anything, the admission shows Woodward to be guilty of the same sort of cover-ups that the left is so paranoid about. While they come up with conspiracies about the administration, the radical left needn't look further than its own Bob Woodward.

This is a nightmare for the left. This sort of cover-up is exactly what they accuse the right of, but believe themselves to be completely above. And we now see this is certainly not the case.