Wednesday, September 14, 2005

More Katrina Racism

Louis Farrakhan of the Nation of Islam, quoted in yesterday's Houston Chronicle, called FEMA and the Red Cross "too white to represent us." Farrakhan made these comments about Hurricane Katrina disaster relief at a town hall meeting in Houston. John Warner writes:

"Last I checked, there were hundreds of thousands of US citizens in dire need of help in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. And color-blind FEMA and the Red Cross are busy distributing hundreds of millions of dollars and tens of thousands of man-hours in aid to storm victims... I called the Nation of Islam for a comment, and the woman with whom I spoke was unaware of Farrakhan's comments. She stated the comments were not racist in nature, but when I asked her what would she think if somebody said the Nation of Islam is "too black", she hung up on me."

Stories like this make my blood boil. Race should play absolutely no part in determining the credibility or worth of a person. Yet Louis Farrakhan seems to think it does. We will never be able to improve equality in this country if the people who are demanding it continue to say things like this.

Michelle Malkin considers a similar problem: countless celebrities and leaders using the phrase "my people" when referring to Katrina victims. She writes:

"I don't know about you, but when we donate to Katrina victims and say prayers for them in our home, every one of them is 'our people'... Disasters don't discriminate. Helping care for 'my people' means helping care for them all. Right, Rev. Sharpton? Rev. Jackson?"

When will they get it?